Header Ads

Just in

Ibadan black Christmas day : plank sellers count losses in fire disaster

Christmas day fire: Ibadan plank sellers count losses
Friday’s Christmas celebration ended up in tragedy for no fewer than 200 traders of Sango Plank Market, Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, when they received emergency calls in the middle of wining and
dining that their shops were on fire. By the time they got to the plank market, all their shops had been razed down by the raging fire. According to eye witness reports, about half of the entire market was burnt down.
It was learnt that the fire was caused by a cooking gas explosion in a house bordering the market on the east side. The General Secretary, Ibadan Timber Dealers Association, Mr Gbenga Fasoro, disclosed that a woman cooking in the mini flat in the house threw an exploded gas cylinder into one of the shops to save the house. He said stocks and machine valued at over N500 million were lost in the incident.
When our correspondent visited the market yesterday, traders stood in groups lamenting their losses while sympathizes consoled them. One of the traders who lost about N1,000,000 in the fire, Pastor Joshua Amos, lost all his machines in the fire. The equipment include turning machines, circular machines, plaining machines and spindle machines.
“I was at home enjoying Christmas when somebody called me that my shop was on fire. I immediately sent my children to go and confirm and they did. What can I do? I have left everything to God who is able to restore me. He owns all things, and He shall restore me. I hold onto Him in faith, he said.
Another victim, Mr Sola Aborisade, lost goods worth N300,009 to the fire. He recalled that he was just relaxing at home on Christmas Day when he received a call about the fire. He ran to the shop immediately and was able to salvage some wares worth N200,000. “On getting here, I tried to salvage a few planks but most had been trapped by the fallen roof. We just watched helplessly as the planks burnt away,” he said. Asked what he planned to do next, he said: “I look forward to help from the government and charitable Nigerians.”
Fasoro, who witnessed the incident, recalled that he visited the market at about 1:50 pm on the fateful day to monitor activities of security guards when he noticed that smoke was coming out from a shop. While he went to the spot to find out what was happening, the fire grew bigger in size.
The labour leader explained that he called the Oyo State Fire Service on telephone, adding that men of the service responded with dispatch.
His words: “I raced down to the spot of the fire immediately and saw that the fire emanated from the boys quarters of the building. I think there was a cooking gas explosion. Immediately, I ran to my car to bring fire extinguisher. But before I came back, the fire had gone out of hand. I called fire fighters and they responded.
“I went to meet them with my car near the market. They tried because they came on time. But they did not have enough water. Again, there was confusion as to which entrance they should approach the work. The traders and residents were on them, causing the confusion. In the midst of the confusion, their hose got burnt. Then, we reached out to other stations in the city which later reinforced the first team.”

No comments

close